‘World News’ posts biggest 25-54 lead in six years
July 9, 2014
David Muir’s looking like a pretty capable heir apparent to Diane Sawyer, who is leaving “ABC World News” at the end of the summer.
Subbing in for Sawyer during the July 4 holiday week, Muir pulled very good numbers.
“World News” averaged 1.88 million viewers in the news demo 25-54 during the week ended July 6, according to Nielsen, No. 1 for the week ahead of “NBC Nightly News” at 1.73 million and “CBS Evening News” at 1.32 million.
That was ABC’s largest lead over NBC in the demo since February 2008, and the newscast has finished No. 1 among 25-54s in seven of the past 13 weeks.
That said, NBC did continue to hold a slight edge among total viewers last week, averaging 7.51 million to ABC’s 7.44 million. CBS was third for the week with 5.75 million.
Because of the holiday, the Friday broadcast was not counted toward weekly ratings. Only Monday through Thursday were used.
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency