Top TV and movie podcasts: ‘Westworld’ rules
November 28, 2016
HBO’s first-year drama “Westworld” certainly has people talking, and that can only be a good thing for the cable network.
Four “Westworld”-related shows are among the top 10 TV and movie podcast on iTunes as of Nov. 28, easily more than any other TV program.
This likely signifies two things. First, the program has a reputation for having many different theories and layers, as well as multiple timelines, which gives people plenty to talk about. Also, people are clearly interested in the show enough to want to hear others discuss their own thoughts and theories.
Topping the list is “Decoding Westworld,” hosted by Cut.com head of programming David Chen and Vanity Fair senior writer Joanna Robinson. Each week the duo looks at the best and worst moments of each episode.
Coming in at No. 4 is the “Shat on TV Podcast,” in which Roger Roper, Dick Ebert and Gene Lions deliver humorous quick takes on the series.
In “Watching Westworld” from Bald Move, hosts Jim and A.Ron talk about everything show-related, including the show’s multiple timelines (there are now four at last count). That podcast is at No. 6 on the TV and movie list.
Finally, coming in at No. 10 is a “Westworld” podcast from “The Coffee Klatch Crew,” which produces podcasts on other TV shows including “Mr. Robot” and “Game of Thrones.”
“Westworld” certainly has had a successful first season, and if the number of top-performing podcasts are any indication, it should be around for some time.
Top 10 TV and Movie Podcasts
Courtesy of iTunes
1. “Decoding Westworld” David Chen and Joanna Robinson
2. “Insecuritea: The Insecure Aftershow” Loud Speakers Network –
3. “Pop Culture Happy Hour” NPR
4. “Roger Roeper & Dick Ebert” Shat on TV Podcasts
5. “Til Death Do Us Blart” Tim Batt, Guy Montgomery, The McElroy Brothers
6. “Watching Westworld” Bald Move
7. “You Must Remember This” Karina Longworth / Panoply
8. “FRONTLINE: Audiocast | PBS” Frontline
9. “The Watch” The Ringer
10. “Westworld” Coffee Klatch Crew Podcast
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency