Top podcasts: ‘S-Town’ preview tops iTunes
March 20, 2017
A preview episode of the new podcast “S-Town” was the No. 1 podcast on iTunes for the week ended March 19. It has been No. 1 for all four days it has been available.
Like “Serial,” the new podcast is a nonfiction true-crime series. In “S-Town,” a reporter looks into the son of a wealthy family in an Alabama town who allegedly bragged about getting away with murder.
The podcast looks into another death that sparks a feud, and there’s a hunt for hidden treasure thrown in for good measure.
The full “S-Town” series will be available on March 28. It comes from Serial Productions, a company founded by “Serial”co-creators Sarah Koenig and Julie Snyder and “This American Life” creator and host Ira Glass.
‘Serial’ still going strong
Meanwhile, the original “Serial” podcast remains a hit in its own right. It came in at No. 8 on iTunes’ most recent podcast chart. It has been on the charts for 904 days.
Elsewhere, “Lovett or Leave It” came in at No. 2 for the week. “Missing Richard Simmons,” “This American Life” and the “TED Radio Hour” rounded out the week’s top five.
Top 10 U.S. Podcasts
Courtesy of iTunes
2. Lovett or Leave It
3. Missing Richard Simmons
4. This American Life
5. TED Radio Hour
6. The Daily
7. Stuff You Should Know
10. Passive Income Podcast
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency