Top music podcasts: Hip-hop, EDM and NPR
January 23, 2017
There are three things that dominate music-themed podcasts: Hip-hop, dance music and NPR.
Or at least that’s the case on the most recent U.S. music podcast chart from iTunes. Coming in at No. 1 is the “Drink Champs” podcast, a show hosted by rapper N.O.R.E. and hip-hop producer and executive DJ EFN.
“Drink Champs” falls under the music category of podcasts, but not because there is music played. Rather, the hosts welcome musical guests weekly and discuss a variety of topics over drinks.
Two other hip-hop-related podcasts made the top 10. The “Rap Radar Podcast” came in at No. 5, while rapper Joe Budden’s “I’ll Name This Podcast Later” is at No. 7.
Four EDM podcasts make top 10
Four of the most recent top 10 are related to electronic dance music. No. 2 overall is “Hard&Soul” by Miss Tara, in which the DJ plays an hour of the latest in dance music.
Other EDM-related podcasts in the top 10 include “Clublife by Tiësto” (No. 6), an hour-long dance mix hosted by the famed DJ and producer. At No. 8 is “Above & Beyond: Group Therapy,” hosted by the English progressive trance group. And at No. 9 is the “Hardwell On Air Official Podcast,” an hour-long show hosted by the DJ Hardwell.
NPR places three in top 10
Finally, NPR claimed three entries in the most recent top 10 music podcasts. “At No. 3 was “All Songs Considered,” which highlights new music and artists.
At No. 4 is the audio version of “Tiny Desk Concerts,” where artists play live at the desk of “All Songs Considered” host Bob Boilen. The video version of “Tiny Desk Concerts” came in at No. 10.
Top 10 Music Podcasts
Courtesy of iTunes
1. Play.it – Drink Champs
2. Miss Tara – Hard&Soul
3. NPR – All Songs Considered
4. NPR – Tiny Desk Concerts (Audio)
5. Play.it – Rap Radar
6. Tiësto – Clublife by Tiësto
7. Joe Budden – I’ll Name This Podcast Later
8. Above & Beyond – Above & Beyond: Group Therapy
9. Hardwell – Hardwell On Air Official Podcast
10. NPR – Tiny Desk Concerts (Video)
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency