Remembering Metro’s Tony Metcalf
July 19, 2013
The man who headed the editorial efforts at Metro newspapers on two separate occasions has passed away.
Tony Metcalf, who was 50, died Sunday in Darlington, England, shortly after being diagnosed with colon cancer.
Metcalf had been editor in chief of Metro U.S., where he’d worked since 2008.
He’d previously been editor in chief of Metro International from 2000 to 2003, helping to launch more than 20 new editions of the free paper across the world.
Metcalf believed deeply in the ideals behind free papers. He departed Metro in 2003 to launch his own free tabloid in Dubai, where he remained for five years before selling the publication and returning to Metro.
A British native, Metcalf never lost his passion for his beloved Newcastle United despite his many years in the United States. He’s survived by his wife and two children.
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency