Political ad spending on TV hits $2.11B
November 2, 2012
Politicians and special-interest groups are emptying their pockets in the days before the election.
Total political ad spending on television has hit $2.11 billion, according to the latest figures from Wells Fargo, up 13.1 percent from the previous week.
All figures run through Oct. 21.
Some $1.91 billion has been spent on local television, up from $1.67 billion the week before.
Though residents of swing states probably feel as though nearly every ad is related to the presidential election at this point, Congressional ads have actually account for most local spending, 40.8 percent.
Presidential spending has accounted for 35.3 percent, ballot measures 20.4 percent, and “other” 3.5 percent.
Wells Fargo has predicted that more than $3 billion will be spent on local TV ads alone during this election.
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency