Weekend TV: NFL playoffs kick off with Wild Card
The top draws on broadcast and cable and in sports
January 6, 2017
Best bet online: Netflix, “Degrassi: The Next Class,” 3 a.m. The complete third season, which touches on issues including abortion, becomes available.
Best bet on cable: Food Network, “Ginormous Food,” 8 p.m. Series premiere. Comedian Josh Denny hosts a new series looking at oversized meals. First stop: Louisville.
Top sporting event: ESPN, “NBA Basketball,” 8 p.m. Doubleheader starts with Knicks-Bucks and ends with Grizzlies-Warriors.
Best bet on cable: Hallmark Channel, “Love on Ice,” 9 p.m. Can Hallmark keep up the momentum following a successful run of holiday movies?
Top sporting event: ABC, ESPN, “NFL Football,” 4:20 p.m. The playoffs kick off with a Wild Card game between the Raiders and Texans.
Best bet on broadcast: NBC, “Golden Globe Awards,” 8 p.m. Jimmy Fallon hosts the 74th annual ceremony, which includes a tribute to Meryl Streep.
Best bet on cable: History, “Transition of Power: The Presidency,” 9 p.m. A timely look at the process in which a sitting president prepares the office for the president elect.
Top sporting event: Fox, “NFL Football,” 4:30 p.m. The NFL playoff game of the weekend pits the Giants versus the Packers in Green Bay.
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency