Mariah New Year’s meltdown tops social media
January 4, 2017
Mariah Carey‘s New Year’s Eve snafu had people talking on social media last week.
ABC’s “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest” generated 3.80 million social interactions across Facebook and Twitter, according to Nielsen, easily No. 1 among entertainment series and specials for the week ended Jan. 1.
That was roughly 3.5 million interactions more than USA’s “WWE Monday Night Raw.” The wrestling show was second for the week with 353,000 interactions.
Of course one of the big social drivers for ABC’s special was Mariah Carey’s performance. By all accounts it was a train wreck. The singer had audio issues that apparently derailed her appearance. Since the event, her team has traded barbs with Dick Clark Productions about who was at fault.
‘Monday Night Football’ tops sporting events
Meanwhile, the top sporting event was ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” game between the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys. The matchup between two playoff teams generated 9.69 million social interactions.
Finishing second for the week was the pay-per-view UFC card that featured the return of Ronda Rousey. The telecast, during which Rousey was knocked out by Amanda Nunes in less than a minute, had 6.59 million interactions across Twitter and Facebook.
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency