Infographic: Super Bowl LI by the numbers
January 30, 2017
That’s one fact highlighted in a new infographic from WalletHub, which takes a look at Super Bowl LI by the numbers.
This year an average ticket to the game is $5,216, up from $4,307 last year. Five years ago, when Baltimore played San Francisco in New Orleans, the average ticket price was $2,380. The average price of a ticket to the past four Super Bowls was $3,334.
Ad prices on the rise as well
Ticket prices aren’t the only thing on the rise.
This year Fox is charging a reported $5 million per 30-second spot during the game. That’s up 110 percent from 10 years ago, when ads cost just over $2 million per 30-second spot.
The rising cost for ads doesn’t guarantee results. In fact, WalletHub says that 80 percent of ads that run during the game don’t boost product sales or purchase intent.
That hasn’t stopped some brands from participating, of course. Super Bowl staple Anheuser-Busch is one of the game’s biggest spenders, dropping some $218.5 million on ads since 2010.
The most popular Super Bowl ad remains the 2011 spot from Volkswagen featuring a kid channeling his inner Darth Vader. That had has generated 5.3 million shares on social media, the most ever for a Super Bowl ad.
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency