Champions League comeback tops social media
March 13, 2017
It did take a historic comeback by Barcelona in its victory over Paris Saint-Germain in the UEFA Champions League to accomplish the feat.
Wednesday afternoon’s match on Fox Sports 1 and ESPN Deportes generated 3.58 million interactions on social media, according to Nielsen, tops among all TV telecasts during the week ended March.
Of those interactions, 3.18 million were on Facebook and 398,000 were on Twitter.
The game was also the top telecast of the week in terms of unique users, with 1.57 million viewers chiming in.
Barcelona trailed its two-legged series versus PSG 4-0 heading into the match. It ended up winning last week’s match 6-1 to take a 6-5 aggregate victory and move on to the next round of the competition.
Only one other sporting event last week generated more than 1 million interactions on social media. That was ESPN’s college basketball game between Duke and North Carolina, which had 1.86 million interactions from 819,000 unique users.
‘Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta’ tops non-sports
Among non-sports shows, VH1’s “Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta” topped the week with 1.50 million social interactions. That was good for No. 3 overall for the week.
No other non-sports show last week generated more than 695,000 interactions on social media.
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency