‘Car Talk’ tops games and hobbies podcasts
January 9, 2017
The “Car Talk” podcast from NPR tops iTunes’ games and hobbies category for the week ended Jan. 9, showing the enduring popularity of the long-running call in show.
“Car Talk” is actually a best-of podcast, highlighting some of the best and funniest episodes from the series’ history. The show began in 1977 and went national in 1987, running until hosts Tom and Ray Magliozzi retired in 2012.
Also hot: Video gaming podcasts
Among the rest of the top 10 games and hobbies podcasts, video games rule. The “CoolGames Inc” podcast from gaming site Polygon came in at No. 2 on the most recent chart from iTunes.
Elsewhere, fellow video game site IGN has three podcasts in the top 10. Its “Game Scoop!” podcast came in at No. 3, while “Nintendo Voice Chat” was at No. 7 and “Podcast Beyond” at No. 8.
Finally, the “Kinda Funny Gamecast” was at No. 4 for the week. The weekly podcast features Tim Gettys, Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty talking about the latest happenings in the video games industry.
Top 10 Games and Hobbies Podcasts
Courtesy of iTunes
1. NPR – Car Talk
2. Polygon – CoolGames Inc.
3. IGN Staff – Game Scoop!
4. Giant Bombcast
5. Kinda Funny Gamecast
6. Dude Soup
7. IGN Staff – Nintendo Voice Chat
8. IGN Staff – Podcast Beyond
9. Kinda Funny – PS I Love You XOXO
10. Hahaas Comedy Ringtones – ! iPhone Ringtones
After nearly 18 years, it’s time to say good-bye
Yet more evidence native advertising doesn’t work
A new type of cord-cutting: Snipping broadband
Coming, the collapse of radio’s iHeartMedia
Weeklies: Surviving if not thriving in digital age
Tweeter in chief: How Trump could save Twitter
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
A sign that coughs at your cigarette smoke
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
HBO does hard time with Dwayne Johnson
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency